04 December 2007

Oh, The People You'll Meet

I continue to meet interesting people in even more interesting ways here. A few weeks ago I met a vagabond on the bus named Tree. He had his guitar with him and we began talking about music, and traded playing songs on the guitar during the bus ride. I keep randomly meeting him around the neighborhood since then, including at my laundromat. A few days ago we went down to Union Square together and grabbed a tea at Borders while he told me about his fascinating life living on the street and traveling the California coast.

Tonight I was doing my laundry at the laundromat in Cole Valley (the same one that I met the girl that I went on a few dates with), and I was standing outside reading Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut. A guy in his 50s or 60s came up to me and just started talking about how he knew Kurt Vonnegut's son Mark when he lived in a commune in Canada in the late 1960s. The guy was also a sound technician for the Grateful Dead, so he told me a few crazy stories about his life on the road with the band.

My famous Cole Valley laundromat:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kevin...just finished reading your blogs from the flight from Florida up to the newest one. Very good...enjoyed reading your story. If you have time to visit in the south would love to see you. Aunt Mary & Uncle Phil are here until Jan 5th.
Aunt Martha